Special seminar „Advanced methods in gemmology“
You want to extend your knowledge in gemmology?
Are you looking for practical and feasible ways to add advanced methods to your gemmological laboratory?
Due to the steady progresses in technology in the last years, mobile and advanced instruments became more favourable and therefore more interesting for gemmologists. The supplementation of classical gemmological instruments with the modern techniques enables gemmologists to obtain a large amount of additional information regarding the authenticity and treatment of a gemstone. Furthermore, the identification of synthetic stones and imitations is also simplified.
To keep up with the constant progresses in this field, the German Gemmological Association offers a special seminar on scientific laboratory methods in gemmology.
The key topics are:
- Raman spectroscopy
- Photoluminescence spectroscopy
- Infrared spectroscopy
- UV/Vis/NIR-spectroscopy, as well as basics of colourimetry
- Basics methods for chemical analysis
The seminar especially focuses on the use of mobile instruments. However, students will also receive insights into the work with stationary laboratory equipment. Some applications of modern techniques are:
- Classification of diamonds, as well as identification of treated and synthetic diamonds
- Identification of thermal enhancement of rubies, sapphires and red spinels
- Identification of filler substances in emeralds, tourmalines, jadeite-jade, etc.
- Identification of synthetic quartzes, synthetic spinels, synthetic alexandrites, etc.
- Identification of colour causes of gemstones and differentiation of varieties (e.g. copper in Paraiba tourmaline, chromium in imperial topaz, etc.)
- Identification of the colour authenticity of jadeite-jade, turquoise, cultured pearls, corals, etc.
In 2024 the seminar takes place from June 17 to 21.